Cabinet Knobs and Pulls
You love the idea of upgrading your kitchen cabinet knobs and pulls. However, you also understand that such endeavors can be expensive. While upgrading cabinets, dressers, and similar items can get very expensive very quickly, there are nonetheless affordable solutions. The more you learn about these solutions, the easier it will be to see the potential in your own home.
Because, as you will find, virtually anyone can take advantage of these easy cabinet and dresser upgrades. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of doing so. From there, we can also help you to better understand the options available to you.
What are Cabinet Knobs and Pulls?
Let's start at the beginning. Cabinet knobs and pulls, also known as cabinet hardware, are the handles you use to open and close doors and drawers. They may seem like minor details in your home's design, but their style and finish can dramatically impact the overall aesthetic.
Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Home
When it comes to easy kitchen upgrades, we often take seemingly small alterations for granted. While replacing your knobs and/or pulls may seem unspectacular, the end result will almost certainly surprise you. Simple touches can often have a bold influence on the way a space looks and feels.
We just sometimes fail to appreciate that. We may think upgrades and replacements should be large-scale efforts and want to make us feel as though we entered an entirely new space.
Believe it or not, you can achieve exactly that with upgraded cabinet knobs and pulls. It really just comes down to knowing what’s out there.
Why Upgrade Your Cabinet Knobs and Pulls?
Upgrading cabinet hardware offers several benefits:
1. Refresh Your Space: Replacing old, outdated, or damaged knobs and pulls can give your space a new look and feel. They are like jewelry for your cabinets and dressers – the finishing touch that pulls everything together.
2. Increase Home Value: If you're planning to sell your home, upgrading your cabinet hardware can help increase its appeal and, subsequently, its value.
3. Personalize Your Home: There's a wide range of styles, materials, and finishes available. By choosing unique knobs and pulls, you can add a personal touch to your home.
Styles of Cabinet Knobs and Pulls
There are a multitude of styles when it comes to cabinet hardware. Here are some popular options:
1. Traditional: Traditional knobs and pulls have classic designs, often with intricate details and antique finishes.
2. Modern: Modern hardware features clean lines, sleek design, and often have a polished or brushed finish.
3. Rustic: Rustic knobs and pulls are perfect for creating a cozy, farmhouse feel. They often come in distressed finishes and feature designs inspired by nature.
4. Industrial: Industrial hardware is characterized by its utilitarian design and raw, unfinished looks.
Materials and Finishes of Cabinet Knobs and Pulls
From ceramic and wood to brass and stainless steel, knobs and pulls come in a variety of materials. Let's explore the options:
1. Metal: Metal knobs and pulls are durable and come in numerous finishes, including brass, bronze, nickel, chrome, and more.
2. Ceramic and Glass: These offer a vintage or artisanal look. They come in a wide variety of colors and designs.
3. Wood: Wooden knobs and pulls can range from sleek and modern designs to rustic, hand-carved options.
Benefits Of Simple Home Upgrades
Before we get into the different options with knobs, pulls, and similar possibilities, let’s talk benefits. While redoing elements of your kitchen can be time-consuming, it doesn’t have to be costly. That is just one benefit to keep in mind. Here are a few more that are worth considering:
- It makes you more comfortable: This is the first and perhaps most appealing benefit. Do you ever walk into a space, and then feel as though something is off? This can be as simple as making some upgrades. This is where knobs and pulls for your cabinetry becomes appealing.
- The space is used more intelligently: Even simple additions and touches can give your space a compelling new lease on life. It can serve to make the space more efficient.
- A personal touch: Making a space your own need not be as elaborate as replacing entire cabinets. Knobs and handles help to create the larger impression of your personal taste.
- Tons of options: Believe it or not, but you have tons of choices. This is even true of knobs and handles for your kitchen or bathroom. You are certain to find something you’ll love.
- Improving your home’s value: Even the smallest new touches can add depth to a space. You can obviously translate that depth into appeal and value.
The benefits of simple home improvements are numerous. At this point, you are in the best position possible to take advantage of your options.
Exploring Cabinet Hardware Types In Greater Detail
We have already written a good deal about metals and options. At this point, we can now dive even deeper into details about your choices. Here is everything else you need to know about knobs, handles, or anything else along those lines:
- Knobs: This would be the simplest of your possibilities. You will often find knobs connected to the drawer or door of your cabinet. This is usually accomplished with the use of just one screw. Solid brass is one possibility, but you also have zinc, bronze, stainless steel, and others. Some even spring for a luxury item like a crystal knob for their cabinets. Marble and natural stone are still more ideas available to you. It will come down to how much you want to spend. Many opt for solid brass for its durability and flexible style. Traditional, transitional, and contemporary are just three of the different knob styles on the market. Tons of different sizes and shapes are available, as well.
- Pulls/handles: Generally speaking, people lump pulls in the same category as handles. Two or more screws are generally used to connect your pull or handle. Whether you choose knobs or pulls/handles, you still have tons of sizes and styles to peruse. There are at least five major styles of pulls, in addition to numerous sizes and finishes. Your taste and budget will ultimately determine which direction you go in.
- Cup and bin pulls: This option will likely cost the most money, depending on what you want. They offer a truly unique look for any kitchen space. We mention them here only because you may decide knobs and handles/pulls aren’t your thing.
Installing Cabinet Knobs and Pulls
Most cabinet hardware can be easily installed with a few basic tools. Here’s a simple guide:
1. Measure: Begin by measuring where the knobs or pulls will go. For doors, knobs and pulls are typically placed on the corner opposite the hinge.
2. Drill: Once you've marked the spot, drill a hole. Make sure the drill bit size matches the screw size of your knob or pull.
3. Install: Insert the screw through the hole in the cabinet and tighten it into the knob or pull.
4. Adjust: Check that the knob or pull is straight and adjust if necessary.
In fact, we would go so far as to call them deceptively simple. It is just not true that you have to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a new kitchen. While there is nothing wrong with going that route, understand that you don’t have to. A couple of new appliances can do the trick. The same can be said for doing some minor alterations to something like your cabinets. This same thought can be applied to any space that uses cabinets, drawers, or anything else along those lines.
Again, it is about making small touches that eventually help to create a larger impression. One or two small steps can give you an entirely new kitchen. You won’t be the only one who feels this way either. Everyone who visits your kitchen will be able to feel the change.
It sounds as though cabinet knobs and pulls are being given a lot of credit here. The truth of the matter is that they deserve such credit. A little creativity and an eye for details can go a long way.