Stainless Steel Spray Paint – Transform Ordinary Surfaces with a Sleek New Look
Before we get into the benefits of stainless steel spray paint, let’s imagine a scenario:
We love home improvement projects. More specifically, we love DIY home improvement projects. If you’re like us, any opportunity to improve the form and function of your home is time well spent. The problem comes down to time, as a matter of fact. There just never seems to be enough of it.
You take a look at some of your more worn-down-looking appliances. They run beautifully, but they are starting to look pretty aged. The surfaces of your home probably strike similar chords.
You would love to make some changes, but who has the time?
Chances are, your schedule is packed from one day to the next.
The Challenges Of DIY Home Improvement
This doesn’t even get into the topic of money. Another element potentially keeping you from making some improvements is the notion that it’s going to cost an arm and a leg. Obviously, depending on what you want to achieve, this can prove to be true.
Yet at the same time, why not explore your options a little more?
Believe it or not, but there are affordable, fun ways to change the various surfaces throughout your home. Stainless steel spray paint is a great example of that thought.
There are a number of benefits to stainless steel, even in a spray paint form. You can start with the fact that stainless steel is a classic look that works in every home. You can also consider how durable stainless steel can be, when applied correctly.
The more you learn about the benefits of stainless steel, the more excited you will be. Add in the ability to purchase affordable stainless-steel spray paint. You have an incredible, straightforward opportunity to finally address some of those more nagging home improvement concerns. Let’s start by taking a look at some of the basic benefits of stainless steel.
Yes, these benefits can be applied to stainless steel spray paint to a significant degree.
How to Choose the Right Stainless Steel Spray Paint
Picking the right stainless steel spray paint is crucial for achieving the look you desire. Here's a handy guide to help you make an informed choice:
- Check the Brand Reputation: Not all spray paint brands are created equal. Consider going with well-known brands that have good customer reviews. This can give you assurance about the quality of the product.
- Consider the Finish: Stainless steel spray paints are available in different finishes like glossy, semi-glossy, and matte. Choose a finish that complements your existing decor.
- Check Durability: It’s not just about the aesthetic appeal. You want your paint to last. Check whether the paint is weather-resistant and scratch-resistant to ensure its longevity.
- Ease of Use: Some spray paints come with a comfort spray tip for easy application, reducing finger fatigue during large projects.
Step-by-step Guide for Applying Stainless Steel Spray Paint
Here's a simple guide to help you apply stainless steel spray paint effectively:
- Prepare the Surface: Start by cleaning the surface thoroughly. It should be free from dust, dirt, grease, or any flaking paint.
- Apply Primer: This step is optional but recommended for best results. A primer can enhance paint adhesion, improve the durability of your topcoat and help hide surface imperfections.
- Shake the Can Well: Before you begin painting, shake the can for about a minute. This ensures the paint is well-mixed and ready to use.
- Test Spray: It's always a good idea to test the spray paint on a scrap piece of material to ensure it's working properly and you're happy with the color.
- Apply the Paint: Hold the can about 10-16 inches away from the surface and spray in a steady back-and-forth motion. Overlap each stroke for an even coat.
- Multiple Coats: Depending on the coverage, you may need multiple coats. Allow the paint to dry between each coat.
- Seal the Paint: For additional protection, you might want to apply a clear coat sealant. It provides extra protection against scratches and wear.
What Are The Benefits Of Stainless Steel?
In broad terms, stainless steel is pretty amazing. You can find examples of stainless-steel use in literally dozens and dozens of applications. This is easier to appreciate when you learn more about stainless steel benefits:
- Extremely resistant to rust and corrosion: The surface of stainless-steel features chromium-rich oxide films. This film is extremely thin. Yet it works to cover the steel, thereby protecting it from a wide range of corrosive elements. This is how stainless-steel stands the test of time.
- Extremely resistant to heat and fire: While this benefit applies to higher grades, it is nonetheless worth keeping in mind.
- Aesthetic benefits: This is one of the most popular benefits. The end result is always going to give you a clean, well-maintained surface. Stainless steel is also straightforward in the maintenance department.
- Life cycle value: Even in spray paint form, stainless steel has the benefit of being something that lasts for years to come.
- Paint? You can paint stainless steel, but you certainly don’t need to. Furthermore, most people who choose stainless steel want that aesthetic.
- Affordable: Stainless steel is also one of the most affordable options available.
As we mentioned before, these benefits extend to stainless steel spray paint. You are now ready to enjoy everything this DIY home improvement option offers. Let’s discuss everything you need to keep in mind, when purchasing and using this choice in any form.
Time To Update Your Space With Stainless Steel Spray Paint!
If you have one white appliance that doesn’t match the rest of the kitchen, what do you do? It seems absurd to simply throw out the appliance. At the same time, it is somewhat glaring, when compared to the overall aesthetics of the space. This is where you can take advantage of stainless-steel spray paint.
It is important to make sure your stainless-steel paint is being purchased from a reliable company. We mentioned one above, but another to check out would be Thomas’ Liquid Stainless Steel. This company sells stainless steel paint kits at fantastic prices. Their products also seem to be some of the best-reviewed around.
This is particularly true in terms of the product’s durability. It is also so simple, anyone can tackle it. Even if you aren’t a big DIYer, you can take advantage of everything this stainless-steel paint kit has to offer. Counters, furnishings, and appliances can all be improved with one of these kits. You can even use one of these kits for your bed frame or light fixtures. The possibilities make for a long list indeed.
Just keep in mind Liquid Stainless Steel is not a spray paint product. It is a simple kit that should be applied with a brush. A roller can also be effective.
If you’re keen to use spray paint specifically, keep in mind that it can achieve the same ends. However, in our experience, a kit that requires a brush or roller may produce better overall results. This is naturally something you will want to research more in greater detail.
Is Stainless Steel Spray Paint The Best Choice?
At the end of the day, this is a decision you are going to need to make yourself. A paint kit is a little more involved, but many would argue the end result is more appealing. On the other hand, spray paint is far more affordable. In our opinion, if you compare and contrast two projects using each option, the visual differences are negligible.
Arguably, the most significant advantage traditional paint enjoys over spray paint is durability. Spray paint is the most affordable choice. As is often the case with the most affordable options, it also means losing a little on something like its lifespan. Still, stainless steel spray paint can stand for a long time to come.
Tips For Using Stainless Steel Spray Paint
Let’s wrap things up by covering some basic stainless-steel spray paint tips. Some of these tips can apply to other forms of stainless-steel paint. At the same time, understand we are also specifically referring to stainless steel spray paint here:
- Getting a smooth coat: This is another potential issue with stainless steel spray paint. It can be very easy to make a mistake. Furthermore, corners can be a little tricky. If you choose spray paint, make sure you are working with a fairly simple surface. This can apply to a number of appliances and other possibilities.
- Fumes: Remember that we are talking about spray paint. This is not something you want to breathe in for long periods of time. Good ventilation is an imperative for any spray paint DIY project. What you want to do then is open as many windows as possible. If you can, move the appliance or other surface to an outdoor setting. Obviously, this may not be doable in many situations.
- Get creative: There are several creative ways to use stainless steel spray paint. If you want to go a different route for larger appliances, fine. However, spray paint can be useful for several smaller appliances. You can even use it for items such as vases. Take a look around your kitchen. Even a couple of small changes can leave you with an entirely new space.
Quick and Simple Stainless Steel Spray Paint Projects
Feeling inspired but not sure where to start? Here are a few quick and simple projects you can undertake using stainless steel spray paint:
- Refresh Old Appliances: Instead of replacing old and worn-out appliances, give them a new lease on life with a coat of stainless steel spray paint. It's a cost-effective way to update your kitchen without breaking the bank.
- Spruce Up Furniture: You can also use stainless steel spray paint to spruce up old furniture pieces. An old chair or table can be instantly transformed with a sleek, modern stainless steel finish.
- Update Light Fixtures: Light fixtures are another excellent candidate for a stainless steel makeover. A fresh coat of spray paint can turn a drab and dated light fixture into a stunning contemporary piece.
- Makeover Accessories: Don't limit yourself to large pieces. Accessories like picture frames, vases, candle holders, and even drawer pulls can be quickly and easily updated with stainless steel spray paint.
Safety Tips When Using Stainless Steel Spray Paint
Finally, it's essential to consider safety when using spray paints. Here are some tips to ensure you use stainless steel spray paint safely:
- Ventilation: Always use spray paint in a well-ventilated area. The fumes from spray paint can be harmful if inhaled in large amounts.
- Protection: Use a mask and gloves to protect yourself from the paint. You should also consider wearing old clothes or an apron to protect your clothing.
- Safe Storage: Store spray paint cans safely. They should be kept in a cool, dry place away from heat sources and out of reach of children.
Stainless steel spray paint has a lot to offer as a DIY endeavor. While it may not be ideal for everything, it still deserves consideration. Combine it with one of the kits we mentioned above and you can achieve so much with minimal money and effort.