Getting ready to graduate and looking for some graduation cap ideas?
As the season for graduating amps up, more and more kids are going to be looking for ways to leave that phase of their lives in style. The time to move from one phase of your life to the next is now.
How do you want to commemorate that?
What do you want to say?
For many graduates, as they move across the stage to collect their diplomas, customizing their graduation cap is a wonderful way to “cap” off their success. It gives you a chance to say one more thing about this part of your life.
Believe it or not, but there are a number of different ways in which to express such thoughts. Don’t feel any pressure to come up with something solely for the sake of impressing others. Think about yourself. Consider how you want to say goodbye to this chapter through the canvas of your graduation cap. Again, there are more ways to express such thoughts than you might think.
This is a wonderful opportunity to express your creativity, while taking that next bold step into the future.
Why not do something about it?
While a cap that says “Thanks, mom and dad” can be a nice idea, why limit yourself?
Showing Your Style with Your Graduation Cap
Again, none of this is meant to put any pressure on you. No one is saying you have to come up with a custom grad cap so clever, it becomes the talk of the occasion. One thing to keep in mind is that your end result doesn’t have to be fancy. It doesn’t have to be anything, really. When we say this is a great chance to show off a creative flair, we mean it. Anything you come up with can prove to be the perfect way to conclude your time at school.
You can use your graduation cap to suggest just about anything:
- The people you love: If you’re graduating from college, who helped you get through it? If you’re graduating from high school, who was your biggest day-to-day inspiration?
- Your major: For high school grads, putting your planned major on your cap can be a very nice touch indeed.
- The past: What is your favorite memory of college? Or high school?
- The future: What’s next for you? Where do you want to go?
- Your personality: What is one thing everyone knows about you from your time at school? Someone who was always known for having a Starbucks cup in their hand might put something like “Caffeine Major!” on their cap.
At the same time, the cap doesn’t have to “say” anything either. Some opt for clever designs and visuals. The choice is entirely yours to make. There is really no such thing as a wrong answer.
While there is really no such thing as a wrong way to customize a graduation cap, there are still a few things you should try to keep in mind. Think of this as a guideline suggesting some possible dos and don’ts of graduation cap decorating.
The Dos And Don’ts Of Graduation Cap Decorating
Yes, anything is possible with your graduation cap. Nonetheless, there are still certain things to keep in mind. These are tips that can help you to avoid creating something that might cause unforeseen problems.
For example, high school grads will want to make sure you can decorate your cap in the first place. Some schools are fine with it, while others are not. It would be a good idea to double-check beforehand.
Here are a few more dos and don’ts of grad cap decorating to keep in mind. These tips can also be particularly helpful if you really want the most memorable cap of them all:
- Aspire to be meaningful: Even if the meaning is only significant to you and you alone, it should still have some sort of value. There isn’t much point in adding touches that have no meaning to you.
- Don’t just go with the first thing you see: Inspiration can strike instantly like that sometimes. Other times, not so much. There is nothing wrong with using the internet for ideas. Just don’t limit yourself to the first page of your search results.
- Make sure everything is secured! From sparkling paper, to glue, to stickers, photographs, or glitter, you have a lot of tools available. Make sure everything you use is properly fastened to your cap. Hot glue is essential for making sure your items remain secure.
- Don’t go too over the top: You would be surprised at just how impressive a canvas your graduation cap can be. There is still such a thing as making it too busy. Some get a little too ambitious. They wind up disappointing themselves. Set your standards to something realistic. In all likelihood, you’ll smash those expectations in spectacular form.
- Don’t wait until the last second! This is dependent on what you want to do. Most likely, you will want to give yourself plenty of time to finish.
Custom Graduation Cap Tips And Ideas
You should have some ideas swirling around by now. Chances are, you had some ideas long before you came to this article. Let’s wrap things up with a few more tips and suggestions. The first one being to make sure you get your cap as soon as it’s available. Again, give yourself plenty of time to come up with something amazing.
A general list of items for this project include the following:
- Your cap
- Glue gun
- Scrapbook paper
- Letters/stickers/misc for scrapbook
- Any items you may want to glue on to the cap. Flowers, pearls, and buttons are a few examples of what we are talking about.
You should also decide about color. You don’t have to necessarily settle for the original color of your cap. Some opt to keep it for style reasons. Others change it to match their vision. Either choice is fine!
Should you decide to change it, scrapbook paper can be found just anywhere. Here are the basic steps:
- Cut a sheet that will fit with your graduation cap. Make sure you have a hole cut for the tassel on the cap to go through.
- Using your hot glue gun, have the scrapbook paper of your choice glued to the cap.
- You’re all set! You can now add anything you like. Use any decorations you have purchased. Some people use letters to create beautiful tributes. Gems can be used to give your cap some swag. The possibilities are quite simply endless!
Remember To Have Fun Creating Your Own Cap!
The most important thing to remember is to have fun. You don’t have to be an art major to create something impressive. Simply listen to your heart. Think about everything that has brought you to the present moment in time.
What do you want to do next?
Who helped you achieve your current dreams?
These are questions worth mentioning again.
The more you think about these things, the easier it will be to come up with something as bold and unique as you are.
The future is yours right now.
Your graduation cap is a physical representation of that fact. When you keep all of that in mind, the rest should be easy. You can even sketch out some basic ideas on a sheet of paper. Don’t be afraid to plan everything out ahead of time. You can also gather up some supplies, and simply dive right in to whatever you think you want to do.
Just remember: Another cap can be expensive!