While Mason jars had a humble beginning, they are now one of the most well-known DIY projects. From lights to organizers, Mason jars are incredibly versatile. They are also an inexpensive way to DIY your own gifts. That’s why we put together a list of 10 inexpensive DIY Mason jar gift ideas that you can make with Mason jars.
1. Mason Jar Terrarium
A simple, but totally adorable DIY Mason jar project is this terrarium.
To start, simply add rocks, sand, and soil to your jar. Keep in mind that your plants will need adequate drainage. After your base is laid, layer in succulents or small plants. Place moss on the top of the soil to keep in moisture. This will help prevent the soil from drying too much between watering.
For a bit of whimsy, you can also add in figurines and fairy lights.
With this terrarium, you will have the perfect DIY Mason jar gift for your favorite green thumb.
2. Homemade Mason Jar Candles
DIY Candles are inexpensive and perfect for every occasion. To create your Mason jar candle, you will need only a few supplies.
- To start, glue your wick to the base of your Mason jar. This will prevent it from moving.\
- Next, melt your wax flakes in a microwave-safe container, stirring in 30-second intervals.
- Once the wax is melted, add your preferred fragrance. For smaller candles, you may only need a few drops of essential oils.
- Pour the wax into the Mason jar and let it cool.
Once it is completely cooled, your DIY Mason jar candle will be ready to gift!
3. DIY Mason Jar Sewing Kit
Mason jars are also perfect for inexpensive, DIY sewing kits.
This project also includes a built-in pin cushion on the lid.
- To start, trace an outline of the lid 1″ larger onto a piece of fabric. Cut this circle of fabric out.
- Place a piece of polyester batting on the back of the fabric cutout. Make sure the batting is the same size as the lid of your Mason jar. It will also need to be centered in your fabric.
- Place your lid on the batting, “sandwiching” it between the lid and the fabric. Then you can use a glue gun to attach the fabric to the underside of the lid.
- Once your pincushion lid is ready, simply fill your jar with sewing essentials. Items such as needles, thread, and a seam ripper are cheap, perfect essentials to add.
Screw on the lid and your DIY Mason jar sewing kit is ready to go!
4. Girls’ Weekend Mason Jar Kit
Everyone needs a weekend to relax! That’s why a DIY girls’ weekend Mason jar kit is the perfect gift.
Simply fill your Mason jar with items such as nail polish, face masks, and mini lotions.You can also add lip balms and snack size candy.
You have all you need for the perfect girls’ weekend away.
5. Hot Chocolate in a Mason Jar
Give the gift of coziness with hot chocolate in a Mason jar.
This DIY gift is super simple.
Simply place packets of hot chocolate in your Mason jar. Or, if you’ve got a homemade family recipe, make a batch and fill your Mason jar.
This DIY gift is especially loved during the cold, winter months.
If you’re feeling adventurous, experiment with flavors. Why not try hot fudge, peppermint, or mocha hot chocolate?
6. Grow Your Own Herbs in Mason Jars
Fresh cut herbs are the perfect addition to any chef’s kitchen.
Creating a mini indoor herb garden is the perfect, inexpensive DIY gift for any chef.
- Simply fill your Mason jars with some organic soil.
- You can find herb kits that provide starter seeds for many popular herbs.
- Add the seeds to the dirt and leave them in the sunlight to grow.
Your DIY herb kit is the gift that will keep on giving!
7. Minibar in a Mason Jar
This minibar in a Mason jar is the perfect gift for groomsmen.
What better way to say thank you than by celebrating with a boozy Mason jar.
This DIY is quick, easy, and always popular.
Pick up a few of their favorite liquors in a mini bottle version. Simply fill your Mason jar with the mini bottles, screw on the lid and you’ve got the perfect DIY gift.
8. Unforgettable Memory-filled Mason Jar
What better gift is there than the gift of treasured memories.
To start, fill the base of your jar with rocks or sand.
After that, print out a few pocket-sized pictures of your fondest memories. Add your pictures to the Mason jar, using your base material to prop them up inside the jar.
You can also add shells, souvenirs, and ticket stubs to your jar.
This unforgettable DIY gift will always be a reminder of fond memories.
9. Housewarming Soap Dispenser Mason Jar
Are you looking for an easy, inexpensive DIY housewarming gift?
This Mason jar soap dispenser is the perfect addition to any new home.
Creating it is simple. You can find soap pump conversion kits from many different retailers.
You can either buy a liquid soap refill or transfer your favorite soap to the Mason jar.
Install the soap dispenser pump and your new DIY housewarming gift is ready!
10. Cookie Mix Mason Jar
This cookie mix Mason jar DIY is the sweetest gift for anyone.
- Measure out each of the dry ingredients in your cookie. Then, layer them into the jar.
- Put the base ingredients (such as flour, baking soda, and salt) on the bottom of your jar.
- Leave mix-ins like chocolate chips and nuts on the top of the jar.
- Write the baking instructions on a tag and use twine to attach the tag to your Mason jar.
Now your DIY cookie mix Mason jar gift is ready to bake.